October is here and we know what that means! One of our favorite holidays at LNE Consulting, Halloween, is quickly approaching!
But how much do you really know about Halloween or Hallow’s Eve as it is sometimes called? Check out the list below of 5 fun facts about the holiday that you may never have heard before!
- Halloween is actually believed to have Irish origins. They have a holiday called “Samhain,” which is a festival of the dead. Dia de Los Muertos is also a popular day in the Hispanic culture which is celebrated on November 1st and 2nd.
- Trick-or-treating used to be much more involved. For instance, you used to have to dance for your candy, or actually beg. Also, it was very common for tricksters to play jokes on the people they were begging from — and some could be quite mean spirited!
- Jack-o-lanterns, which were traditionally created to scare away the evil spirits, used to be made out of more than just pumpkins. People used to carve beets, potatoes, and radishes as well! Perhaps not quite as large or scary as a pumpkin, though!
- Halloween is sometimes referred to as Hallow’s Eve because the next day, November 1st, is called “All Saints Day,” which is a day dedicated to the saints of the Catholic church. It is also, as previously mentioned, Dia de Los Muertos in Mexico.
- In Rome, they used to celebrate a festival called “Pomona,” which celebrated the goddess of the harvest. This festival was thrown around the same time as Halloween is celebrated now, and we have adopted some of their celebration activities, like bobbing for apples!
Can you see why Halloween is such a fun holiday? The holiday is a combination of so many different cultures and fun events. LNE Consulting’s favorite part is definitely the fun costumes. From all of us at LNE Consulting, we hope you have a fantastic Halloween and see lots of fun costumes. Follow us on Instagram to check out what we’re doing for Halloween.